Total Pageviews

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Mechanically Reclaimed Meat...WTF?

Ok, so someone sent me a link to this video today from Jamie Oliver's food revolution. He does this experiment in the UK which was successful and then in the US where it failed miserably...what is it, you ask me? Well, he shows them where chicken nuggets come from and I've known that it's pretty suspicious stuff, but now I really don't want to be ignorant anymore and eat them...basically, they take all of the chicken leftovers (bone, cartilage, skin) and grind it all up and coat it with flavour enhancers (all those E numbers), bread crumbs, salt, etc and then deep fry them for you...mmmm...NOT! That is what mechanically reclaimed meat or mechanically texturized meat. The links are to the videos on youtube. The first one is in the UK and the second one is in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSoiDtdi9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9B7im8aQjo&feature=related

It really does make a difference that we know where our food comes from. More and more I really want me and my family to eat better and more knowledgeably so I will continue my efforts to feed my family food that is less and less processed and made from scratch. I know it's not always easy, but as usual, we just need to try our best!

No comments:

Post a Comment